Translate

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Thank goodness life is getting back to normal!  I got very, very busy with work there for a while and all I did was come home and put my feet up.  The only thing I got done was what I accomplished before I went to work!

I am still following the rationing rules for food and gasoline that were in place for 1943.  My friend Donna over at gdonna.com is doing this also, and she is so very good about posting how they are cutting back, pasting in their coupons, etc.

I'm doing it, but I'm just crossing off the coupons as I use them.  I do the same with the gas allotment we use for the week.  In order to stretch the gas allowance, I take the bus to work.  I am very lucky here in the area close to Salt Lake City.  We have an excellent public transit system.  (In fact, I being so close to the main bus line for our area was another selling point when I bought this house in 2001.)  I am two doors down from the bus stop.  When I get in to town, I have to walk five blocks to work.  Then, I'm usually lucky and get a ride from a coworker to the bus stop to go home.  Or I take this
on the bus with me and ride it from the bus stop to work and back.   I am allowed to take my scooter on the bus since it's electric.  I've had a couple of drivers question me about it, but since I'm considered disabled, I explain I'm allowed to use this for my mobility device.  It actually takes less room than a regular mobility scooter.  (I don't take it every time if I have to go on the bus, usually if I have a lot of walking to do or if I'm really tired and want to save my energy for work.) 

I also use my little scooter to get around my local area to the library or the grocery store and local mall.  I don't shop much at the mall, where this photo is taken, but I love the atmosphere.  There is a wonderful outdoor space to sit and read, fountains, and a little playground for the children.  There is usually a concert during the week and if I'm off work sometimes I ride my little scooter down there.

Once a week or so I try to do the main shopping and we try to get everything done all at once.  If the gas has is running low, sometimes I take the bus in to the grocery store and my son picks me up on his way home either during lunch or after work.  He lives with me at the moment and I'm sure that back in the 1940's people shared rides whenever possible.

Today I've spent getting caught up on house work that I've gotten behind in from working.  I've still got a ways to go to get caught up to where I want to be, but I'm getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment