Translate

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Research, Research, Research

I've been trying to find local ads from this same time in 1943 to give me an idea of what was going on here in the Salt Lake City area.  I finally found a place online where I can look up old issues of the Salt Lake Tribune without having to go down to the Trib building itself.  (For some reason I can only get the county newspaper on microfilm, not the City paper.)


If you look, they state the food points and what color stamps are used.  I don't think this one has it listed, but did you know they had "Tang" in the 40's?  (I always thought it was for the astronauts, I guess I bought in to the advertising...LOL!)  It was 3 or 4 points for processed food.

I love looking at what brands were available.  When you look at the processed point values for canned fruits and vegetables, I think I'll be freezing a good bit this year.  I'd like to can but I don't think I can use the canners on my glass topped stove.  Has anyone canned on theirs?  I don't want to damage my stove, but I would like to get some food put up!

2 comments:

  1. I have done water bath canning on my glass top stove. Would it be any different with a pressure canner? I'd like to get one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your site via g-Donna and am delighted to follow both of your journeys! Wanted to say that I have a glass topped stove and am in my second year of using both a water bath and pressure,canner with no issues. You need to research your particular stove recommendations. I use a Presto canner that has a flat bottom and have had no issues and I can a lot! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete