Translate

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Here I thought I was so organized and ready to start but as these first days pass, I find out that I'm still learning and need to figure out so many things.

Today's realization was that I need to figure out how to keep track of the soap I use for cleaning, laundry, dishes, etc.  I realize that is rationed too.  I'm thinking of just buying soap flakes for the laundry, but I have to research whether or not they were used for dishes, or if specific "dish soap" (as grandma always called it) was commonly in use yet.  I use cake soap for bathing, so that shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Just like I guess they did during the war, I'll learn as I go along.  I was frustrated at first, but then it dawned on me that the women then didn't get a huge advance warning to prepare.  It was suddenly, "OK we are going to ration..."

I'm still surprised that they wanted everyone to report what they had on hand when it started so they could subtract that from their initial rationing coupons.  I understand, but I can't help but wonder how honest everyone was, or if under-reporting was common.

I can only imagine what it would be like if it happened now, with stores having to practically chain merchandise down, either literally or electronically, to deter theft.  Is that a reflection upon today's morals, or lack thereof, or has it always been this widespread and we're just more aware it?  I'm thinking the second.  It makes me wonder.

4 comments:

  1. I think there was a lot less theft back in the day, because we didn't have these huge big box stores with only a handful of employees like we have now. Stores were much smaller and there were people to wait on you and help you find what you needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're correct. I really miss the personalized help and smaller stores. My grandma owned a small grocery store for 28 years. In WalMart, I get frustrated that there are very long lines, with minimal clerks. They are forcing us to go to the self-checks, is my take on it, and I don't necessarily like to use those.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the smaller towns too you knew the employees and they knew you..and your parents and your cousins etc! :-) Back then too you would not think to steal. Also you would not want to loose the respect of your family. Or your families respect in the town etc. Also you knew the 10 commandments. :-) I thought it would always be like that. :( Sarah

    ReplyDelete