Translate

Sunday, June 28, 2015

I'm sorry for the gaps between posts!  I'm planning on posting twice a week at least, if not more.  My friend Donna over at http://gdonna.com/ has been working so very hard making sure this adventure of ours is as authentic as possible.  I'm eternally grateful to her since I haven't had the time due to my current work schedule and the availability of information at my local library.

I did buy some ration book four ration books.  Here is a picture of the stamps.


They're so little, and in order to use them you had to keep track of points, which letter of which color was current, not to mention the prices of these items.  Having the stamps and money did not mean that the item you wanted would be available.  An item also not being rationed didn't guarantee you could purchase it when you wanted or in the amount you wanted.

Makes me have even more respect for my Grandmother, since she handled this end of things.  Grandpa took care of the car part of it, but she took care of the rest.  She didn't work in any of the war time jobs available in St. Louis during the war.  My grandfather felt she had enough to do taking care of my mother and the house and all the rationing joy.  He worked long, long hours at Fisher Body during the war.  I personally don't know how they did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment